Pune’s Famous Personalities Which Made All Punekar Proud – Being the cultural capital of Maharashtra State, Pune city has evolved its own spirit which has proved to be more attractive to whole range of most famous personalities down the age. These famous personalities include many who were not born here, but they finally settled down in this city which has been drawn by its richest culture, heritage as well as artistic traditions. Many of these great people later became the famous throughout our nation. Pune city continues to attract diverse range of people from all over the India, who call this city as their home. So, some of these popular personalities includes freedom fighters, social reformers, Industrialists, sportspersons, writers, musicians, and actors. So, below we have mentioned some of the most famous and notable personalities of Pune who made all of us proud. This list does not just include people who are living at the present but even those who are not, but they have left their mark in Pune and across the whole world.
Mahatma Jyotiba Phule
- He is a revolutionary social reformer who did pioneering work in the field of Education, agriculture, widow upliftment and removal of untouchability.
- After educating his wife, then he established the first girl’s school in 1848.
- So, for his unique achievement he was bestowed the title of “MAHATMA” in 1888.
Bal Gangadhar Tilak
- “SAWRAJ IS MY BIRTHRIGHT .And I SHALL HAVE IT”
- Transformed household worshipping of Ganesh into sarvajanick Ganeshostav
- For his unique achievement he was bestowed the title of” LOKMANYA” which meant accepted by people.
Gopal Krishna Gokhale
- In 1904 appointed as a CIE –The most Eminent Order of Indian Empire.
- He mentors to both Jinnha and Mahatma Gandhi.
- Gokhale’s idea of western political institution was adopted in 1950.
S. L. Kirloskar
- A potential leader who gave his company a growth of 32,401% growth from 1950-1991.
- He was among the first Indians to graduate from MIT.
- L. Kirloskar was awarded PADMABUSHAN in 1965.
Pu. La. Deshpande
- A Proficient classical Musician.
- He was also an author, screen play writer, actor, director, music and singer.
- He also participated in several philanthropist activities.
- She is among 8th richest women in India. And was among the 40 richest Indian in2007.
- Also a social worker and she was awarded with PADMA SHRI for social work by GOI.
- A net worth of $8.34 billion and ranks #5 richest person in India.
- Cyrus Poonawala was awarded PADMA SHRI in 2005.
- An Indian businessman, politician and philanthropist.
- The chairman of Bajaj group has a net worth of 2.7 Billion USD.
- Scored around 170 goals in339 International matches.
- Led India to Asian Games Gold in 1998.And also led India to Asian Game Victory in 2003.
- She is fashion designer, painter, fashion writer and orator.
- Amrita Thapar was the Miss Universe for the year 2005.
- He was the bulwark of Indian batting in sixties. Also one of the country’s leading all –rounder.
- Chandu Borde is awarded with:
ARJUN AWARD- 1966
PADMA SHRI- 1969
PADMA BUSHAN- 2002
- He was an Indian rationalist and president of mans committee to eradicate superstition from Maharashtra.
- He was awarded with PADMA SHRI in 2014.
B. K. S. Iyengar
- He was among the top 100 most influential person in this world (TIME 100).
- Guruji were awarded with:
PADMA SHRI- 1991
PADMA BHUSHAN- 2002
PADAM VIBHUSHAN- 2014
- She has won over from than 150 trophies/awards in her solo and group dance performances on national and international level.
- She represented Maharashtra state as culture ambassador at 22nd Nehru National Integration Camp, Kawasaki City Festival and International Youth Exchange Camp.